Please read the FAQs page
are a friendly, long established rambling group based on the North Fylde area
of Lancashire. Membership of the club is mostly derived from the local towns
of Fleetwood, Thornton, Cleveleys and Poulton-le-Fylde.
Coach trips are made fortnightly all year round. In a typical year we visit Lancashire, The Eden Valley, Forest of Bowland, Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, Howgill Fells, Peak District, North Yorkshire, Scotland and Wales.
A variety of walks are usually available, each led by an experienced leader. These will usually cover distances from about 6 miles to 15 miles, depending on conditions, locality and time of year.
COVID-19Please note that in the light of further relaxation of COVID social distancing restrictions all forward facing seats on the coach can now be used.
At present the fare stays the same as last year.
To book on a trip, from the Monday before at 9am onwards, sign in with your membership number and password, then click on the Booking Button next to the trip name in the 2021 Itinerary.
If you have forgotten your password or membership number, or don't know them because you are new member, use the password reset function by clicking on the Forgot Password? button. If the password reset does not work for you, contact John Adams, he can tell you your current stored sign in name, membership number and email address. Sometimes people use slightly different versions of their name, or change email addresses, John can update these if the need arises. Your membership number is fixed and will not change. John cannot tell you your password, the website only stores an attack resistant, one way encrpyted (hashed) version of your password.
The Join Wyre Ramblers button has been enabled now that a moderated joining process has been implemented.
Membership FeesMembership fees are now due for payment, it's still the same amount £10. This membership will last until the end of 2021. This will help to replace (not all!) the monies that the club used to subsidise the trips during Covid. Thank you for your help to keep Wyre Ramblers going. Non payment of your fee will cause your membership of the club to lapse.
Walking With Wyre Ramblers
If you would like to come along with Wyre Ramblers on one of the walks listed below please phone John Adams on the
Club Mobile: 0790 800 4399 (6.00 p.m - 9.00 p.m)
Should you reach an answerphone or message taking service when phoning then please leave your name and telephone number and state that your interest is in Wyre Ramblers.
We allow non members to accompany us for 4 outings, after which we then expect them to become members of the Wyre Ramblers Club.
The 4 outings can be taken at any time throughout the year.
Membership: £10 per calendar year.
Booking a Seat
Fares (irrespective of distance) are currently:
Children (under 16): £6
All children MUST be accompanied by an adult.
Seats may be be booked for the next outing.
Fares will be collected on the way home.
Any seats that are booked and not occupied must be paid for at the earliest opportunity unless cancelled by the Thursday before the trip.
Telephone bookings may be made on the
Club Mobile: 0790 800 4399 (6.00 p.m - 9.00 p.m)
Please show consideration and do not phone outside the specified times shown.
Coach Pick Up and Drop Off Points(with nominal departure times)
|07:30||BLACKPOOL||Whitegate Drive between Hornby Rd & Leeds Rd|
(By prior arrangement only, text or email on or before the Wednesday preceding the walk)
|07:40||BISPHAM||Devonshire Road Roudabout (opposite garage)|
|07:50||FLEETWOOD (A)||Broadway (Hesketh House)|
|07:55||FLEETWOOD (B)||Broadway Post Office (St. Nicholas's Church)|
|07:57||FLEETWOOD (C)||Poulton Road (Barney's Bingo Hall)|
|08:00||FLEETWOOD (D)||The Esplanade, site of former Fleetwood Pier|
|08:15||THORNTON||Victoria Road East, (Shopping Precinct)|
|08:20||POULTON||River Wyre Hotel (Mains Lane)|
|08:40||GARSTANG||A6 in front of the Great Season Restaurant (by prior arrangement, if the route passes this point)|
In the summer we set off home at 18.00 hrs
In winter we return roughly 15 to 20 minutes after the sunset time when it falls earlier than 18.00 hrs
However good the weather may appear, bring a complete change of clothing to leave on the coach. Bring food for the day and try to include something hot in a flask; soup, coffee or tea for example.
Map, compass, torch, whistle and first aid kit are carried by group leaders, and are advised for individuals within each group.
Each party wil appoint a leader and a back marker to avoid being split up, other members of the party should neither overtake or fall behind,
International Distress Signal
You are responsible for your own safety.This is no different from the reponsibilties which you have on a casually arranged walk with friends or family.
A Walk for 21st November 2021
HEBDEN BRIDGE via Todmorden
Leader John Adams
Distance 11.1 miles / 18 km
Ascent (total) 2441 ft / 744 m
Descent (total) 2441 ft / 744 m
Time 6.5 hours
Sunset Time 16:00
Maps Explorer OL21 South Pennines
Start Grid Ref SD936244
I'm retreading most of a route I last walked in 2004! October 31st of that year in fact. One thing of note is the sunset time - 41 mins earlier!
We'll have numerous options for finishing early if the lack of daylight should become a problem. From what forecasts I've seen that cast forward to Sunday would indicate a dry day?? We'll see. So with no more crystal ball gazing, here's my offering.
The walk commences at the railway viaduct in Todmorden. Making our way to the Rochdale canal we turn East along the towpath until we come to the second bridge over the canal.
Crossing over the bridge we begin our ascent, following the road into Kilnhurst we then pass through Oldroyd to the lane going uphill toward Lumbutts. We take the path alongside the small reservoir then return back to the lane briefly before crossing to the youth hostel at Mankinholes.
Climbing we come to the path (part of the ‘Pennine Way’) which we follow to the ‘Pike’ then descending via Doe Stones past Straight Hey, to walk along a quite ‘interesting path’ at the very top of Height Wood. We descend along the edge of Eastwood then via Parrock Wood to Oaks Farm.
After the farm we come next to Callis and Horsehold Woods where, via various paths, we next find ourselves descending on a quiet lane for a short way before once more into another woodland, this one being Crow Nest Wood. We descend gently for a little while, then begin to reclaim our lost height for the last time.
Passing through Wood Top, Park and Daisy Bank we make our way to the track which will take us through Moorside Farm. Continuing along the track we begin our final descent, through Great Jumps and Old Chamber back into Crow Nest Wood.
Once inside the wood we take the path down to the railway station; we then cross the railway, canal and stream into Hebden Bridge. Here you can relax in time honoured fashion in the local emporiums.
The walk today is not difficult, but is a long one for this time of year. We have three or four ascents throughout the day. Note the ascent above! We will pass through lots of woodlands as well as enjoying wide vistas on the sections of open hillside.
So there you have it, fingers crossed we have a dry day at least. Still seats available, so get touch or book yourselves on for a good days outing.
2021 ItineraryMembers may book on a trip from the Monday before at 9am onwards when the Now Booking message is displayed. Sign in with your membership number and password using the Sign In button at the top of ths site , then click on the Book On button that appears in this panel by the trip name. Members must be signed in to see the Book On button.
The list of trips below is provisional and may be subject to change.
|2||9th May||KIRKBY LONSDALE||20:59|
|3||23rd May||GLENRIDDING via Kirkstone Pass||21:24|
|4||6th June||TEBAY via A6 & Shap||21:40|
|6||4th July||THE ROACHES||21:36|
|7||18th July||CONISTON via Torver||21:32|
|8||1st August||INGLETON via Settle and Horton||21:10|
|9||15th August||SEDBERGH via Tebay||20:36|
|10||29th August||LONGSHAW (Hope Valley)||20:06|
|12||26th September||KIRKBY STEPHEN||18:56|
|15||7th November||STAVELEY via Bowness||16:22|
|16||21st November||HEBDEN BRIDGE via Todmorden||16:00|
|!Now Booking! |
Passengers (ordered by pickup point)
1) Blackpool: Russell Cobb - Added by Russell Cobb
2) Blackpool: Paul Thwaites - Added by Paul Thwaites
3) Blackpool: Katie Davidson - Added by Peter Rossall
4) Bispham: Janet Formstone - Added by Janet Formstone
5) Bispham: Norman Bailey - Added by John Adams
6) Bispham: Peter Rossall - Added by Peter Rossall
7) Bispham: Anthony Egan - Added by Peter Rossall
8) Bispham: Sue Curran - Added by John Adams
9) Hesketh House: John Adams - Added by John Adams
10) Hesketh House: Derek Greaves - Added by John Adams
11) Hesketh House: Susan Greaves - Added by Susan Greaves
12) Hesketh House: Diane Whur - Added by Diane Whur
13) Hesketh House: Linda Adams - Added by John Adams
14) Hesketh House: Nicola Miller - Added by Nicola Miller
15) Hesketh House: Darren Webster - Added by Darren Webster
16) St Nicks: Lesley Jameson - Added by Lesley Jameson
17) St Nicks: John Heap - Added by David Clegg
18) St Nicks: Anita Mooney - Added by John Adams
19) Barneys: Ian Irwin - Added by John Adams
20) Barneys: Dawn Johnston - Added by John Adams
21) Asda: Peter Davies - Added by John Adams
22) Asda: Julie Whurr - Added by Julie Whurr
23) Asda: Les Holt - Added by Julie Whurr
24) Thornton: Paul Hadlely-Johnson - Added by John Adams
25) Thornton: Lauren Stephenson - Added by John Adams
26) Thornton: Lillian Astil - Added by Bill Astil
27) Thornton: David Clegg - Added by David Clegg
28) Thornton: Bill Astil - Added by Bill Astil
29) Thornton: Paul Tregonning - Added by Paul Tregonning
30) Thornton: John Mills - Added by John Mills
31) River Wyre: Danny Prince - Added by John Adams
32) River Wyre: Zai Martin - Added by John Adams
33) River Wyre: Jeanette Ashurst - Added by Jeanette Ashurst
34) River Wyre: Klare Calvert - Added by Klare Calvert
35) River Wyre: Tina Duroe - Added by John Adams
36) River Wyre: Liz Ingham - Added by Liz Ingham
37) River Wyre: Lorraine Roberts - Added by Lorraine Roberts
38) River Wyre: Dawn Louise Forster - Added by John Adams
39) River Wyre: Paula Goodacre - Added by Paula Goodacre
40) River Wyre: Michael Goodacre - Added by Paula Goodacre
41) River Wyre: Gary Walkey - Added by Gary Walkey
42) River Wyre: Betsy Hargreaves - Added by Betsy Hargreaves